Manual Mode ROCKS!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

One of these days, I'm going to do a well deserving post on two of my favorite photographers....Allison Tyler Jones and Melissa Jill. I love them both the same, however, Allison and I go back 13 years or so and I just met Melissa a few weeks ago. While there is a great difference in the relationship length, they both speak with strong words...leaving me motivated to face the challenges of photography head on. The last time I spoke with Melissa, she shared with me her feelings with shooting manual...she had said that it had opened the door to having greater control over her pictures. A door of freedom and complete control.

It is an amazing challenge to get shutter speed, apeture, ISO and exposure all on the same team. For me, manual... was terrifying. But, I had told her after the crazy, holiday stampede of portrait sessions I would tackle and complete this challenge. I had been comfortable with shooting in apeture priority mode and was not interested in leaving this comfort zone. But, I need the relationship with my camera to grow to the B.F.F. level (best friends forever). I can now say...shooting manual was amazing, exhilirating, addicting and everything I had hoped it would be. Now there is still great deal to this relationship to learn and understand, but it helps to no longer be afraid. I can't wait to see where my ventures in manual mode will take me!



Here are a few pictures from my first venture in manual mode with my darling twins!



Thanks Melissa for the motivation! You were right, it was everything you said it would be!

3 comments:

Melissa Jill :) said...

So awesome Tami! Way to go! I'm glad you like it.

That second image is super-strong. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are great. I especially love #2! Keep up that manual shooting. :)

thegreatestshowonearth said...

The girls look amazing! And I love the narration about you ex. you are ridiculous!