Harper's arrival |Gilbert Family Photographer

Saturday, December 18, 2010

This past fall season has been busy full with mini sessions, full family sessions, extended family sessions, 5 newborn sessions and one scheduled birth session.

The one birth that made it onto my calendar was for a close friend. Photographing the arrival of her last baby was a shoot I had been dreaming of.

Scheduling a birth is a big commitment. It means allowing time on my calendar to be available...on call...and ready at a moments notice, to pick my camera up and head to the hospital. While my friend knew how busy I was and exhausted, we had many chats where she kept telling me she felt bad for me photographing her birth when I was just wrapping up my fall season. At one point, I told her I wouldn't miss her birth for anything in the world.

My girlfriend ended up going to the hospital for an induction. My mother came over to be available for me to leave when needed...hours passed and still no baby. Eventually my mother left after my husband came home. Hours still passed with my girlfriend's daughter in no hurry to arrive.

Then...just as I was giving my babies a bath my phone rang. I saw it was my girlfriend and I answered the phone with a question...."Is Harper ready to come out or is she getting forced out?" All I heard at that point was my girlfriend saying she was dialated to a 7 and it was going to happen fast. I grabbed my camera, kissed my babies goodbye and pretty much broke every street law while driving to the hospital. The entire drive there, my girlfriend's sister and I kept eachother updated on the status.

As I ran through the hospital finding the delivery room, I arrived...knocked on the door and found sweet baby Harper already in my girlfriend's arms. My girlfriend was in love. Her eyes filled with happy tears.

While I missed her arrival, I was there to capture all the firsts.

In my opinion, there is only one time in the world when everything is perfect...this was one of those times.

The first look...
10 perfect toes
Capturing my girlfriend's mother was beautiful. She is beautiful and this moment was beautiful.





.......................................................................................................................................................................
My session calendar for 2010 is officially over. I'm currently waiting on a few orders for newborn sessions, but that's it.

My session calendar for 2011 will be limited. I'll be scheduling fewer sessions and keeping this schedule...I swear, I swear.

At this point, I have 1 session opening for January and two for the end of February. If you'd like to have one of these session openings, I'd love to chat with you and schedule a session.

I've already been asked if I'll be scheduling any bulk mini sessions for families or siblings. At this time, I'm evaluating my calendar and will update when this decision is made. For now, the only mini sesssions being scheduled are for Milestone Mini Sessions. Which are for clients who are celebrating a birthday or another milestone in their life. Please email for details regarding a Milestone Mini Session...these sessions were a huge hit in 2010.

I will officially be off work December 21-January 4th. With that being written, I will try to answer emails as time is found between enjoying traditions and celebrating the holidays. If emails aren't replied to right away, please know I'm pigging out on cookies with my babies and promise to reply in the new year.

During any free moments, I also have plans to blog fall sessions...too many cute sessions to keep hidden...and maybe update my website. My website is a sad, sad, SAD neglected piece of my business and way out of date...kind of embarrassing actually! :)

I wish each of you a VERY Merry Christmas and hope all of you are enjoying traditions and a few Christmas cookies yourself!

Hugs to each of you!


0 comments: