My get away...

Sunday, November 8, 2009

At the very last minute...and I mean last minute...a few friends from high school and I planned a super fast, overnight get away to our friends home in Payson, AZ.


It was a total casual affair...like....have the girls pack pj's and clothes for the next day in their princess backpacks...and I threw random things in an Americal Eagle (fav store) shopping bag. Threw a few blankets and pillows in the back of my suburban, off we went for a McDonald's drive thru and we were driving out of town.


And I was happy...happy to have a little girl get away with girls I have history with (18+ years to be specific). More importantly, to have our kids just have simple fun, playing and getting to know eachother beyond birthday parties.


It's almost sad, sad because my girlfriend has lived in Payson for 8 years now, has a gorgeous home in a sweet town filled with the beauty of mountain life. And all this is only 1.5 hours away...and I haven't been there in 6 years.


It was heaven...sitting around with my friends, sipping drinks, eating yummy snacks...giggling, solving problems, sometimes just breathing in silence from our at ease comfort with eachother, acting like teenagers with "triple dog dares" and creating our own photobooth filled with really goofy pictures.


But the best part was when a friend from high school came up that I probably see maybe once a year, we hug eachother tight and talk like we just chatted on the phone the day prior. I love this girl...she is incredible. I could list all that I admire in her but...I'll stick with a quality I admire most. Her incredible mothering skills...that just blows me away. When she talks about parenting, her experiences, what she's learned, what she's proud of and her recent life stories...I find myself just in awe. I literally not only hang on every word, but surrender myself to soak up all her advice, patience, knowledge and calmness in crisis.


I'll confess, I have the memory smaller than a nat and I can only pray that I may recall her experiences when I need this guidance most. I'm almost seriously considering creating a small notebook called "the Sally book of parenting reference". And keep it in my back pocket, with the flap hanging with creased pages to be ready on a parenting whim. She's that good!


And the best part, she has a son that is graduating this year. A son who I knew in utero, as a baby, toddler and will finally remeet him in January for his senior shoot. Yep, I GET to photograph him. I'm totally sure I'll be that obnoxious "mom's friend" that uses restraint from pinching his cheeks and saying "May have you grown!" I am unbelievably excited. Even more proud that I get to capture this all-time, star football player in this exciting stage in his life.


Here are 6 of the 9 kids...only 8 were there...but the other two didn't get there until later. I really didn't plan to leave them out.




I have been dying to get my camera on this little guy. He's the son of my fab friend in Payson. Isn't he the cutest. And has the personality to match this cuteness. Honestly one of the most mature 2 year olds I've known.
Cam couldn't be happier when I found her a Rolly Polly...AKA potato bug.

I call this look...um, I think I might get in trouble from telling the other little boy that he was being naughty and his mom was going to spank him. Here he is anticipating what he knew was overheard from the mom's up in the balcony.
My Cam's BFF...her mom and I kept saying how we see loads of trouble in our future.





Underneath plants, the kids found snails that were...ahem, sleeping. My Cam and Daxtin were watching and waiting to catch a bit of movement.
Cam...still looking reeeeeeally close.


There it is...a glimpse into the kid fun that was had up north. Overall, it was a great time and I'm already wanting to plan another one in a month...and crossing my fingers we might do it when there's snow.

3 comments:

NP said...

LOVE the sweet little guy flexing his muscles AND the great pics of the kids having fun in Payson! LYG, N

Leah said...

How fun is that? Looks like a great time Tami...I love last minute vaca's....you probably need a break with how busy you are!

erwinx3 said...

Tami.........I love you!!! I read this post and cried my eyes out. No matter how many months or years past you are always in my heart :) As we discussed over the weekend we are “gratefully” blessed and you don't need any advice from me. You are not only an amazing mother but an amazing woman. Thank you for the post it totally made my day! Ohhh and I don’t think I saw anyone sipping their drinks when I arrived Friday night.
xoxo
Sally