Priceless

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Today was a filled day of shooting...to be more specific, 6 hours of shooting. I had a fabulous newborn session this morning and a family session this evening.

All I can say is I'm thankful and appreciative that I'm repeatedly invited into homes and welcomed by families. Together we create memories that can't hold a price tag.

My mind has been spinning on this premise...

photography really is priceless and really is above and beyond the price tag it can come with. It's a moment in time created, created to always hold a physical memory. A memory that will take you back to that very moment in time...that moment that you will never get back.

Why such a deep post...

I'll fill you in on a brief history of this evening's session. My mother in law teaches at a school that is beyond giving to the community it serves. Beyond the desk and beyond the classroom...the staff are actively involved in student's lives that often reach into their home. I often hear the stories of the support the school offers. A few months back, my mother in law shared the story of a family that was fighting a battle that they couldn't win...but that the spirit within the children and mother...was undying. Not long after this, one of the teachers and my mother in law were in the planning stages to arrange a good time to photograph this family.

As a mother...there is nothing better than giving your children the gift of pictures where their love was captured. The gift of remembering their mother and the amazing gift of love she gave each of her children. Giving each child a memory...a memory beyond what their mind will try to hold on to, but a picture that will take them back to the one person who was their rock, their heart and the cultivator of their spirit.

Introducing P...the proud mother of four and wife to a wonderful husband.

Her fabulous 7 year old.
Her active and always entertaining 4 year old.
Her beautiful daughters...15 and 6 years old.


Love little Mr. C's measurement of how much he loves his mom...that's pretty darn big!

P's stunning, inside and out, 15 year old daughter. Who plays a large role in her families life...her character is beyond description in words.
Tonight I go to bed...thankful, thankful that I was a part in creating portraits that celebrated a beautiful mother. And worked with a mother to leave her children a piece of her beauty and beautiful soul. P...you are a fighter...you are the mother every child dreams of. The mother your children will never forget. Thank you for a wonderful afternoon. I'm sending big hugs your way... I pray for your days to be filled with peace and heart filled with happiness to drown out your pain. You have a gorgeous family and have done a wonderful job raising your children.
I am a better person for being a part of your family, if only for a few hours.

To all the mothers out there....get in pictures with your children! Whether it's at a local photography studio, myself or your own camera! Get snapping away and give your children a moment of your love captured.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course Tami I'm crying because of this beautiful post. Besides the gorgeous pictures your words captured this story so well. I love you dearly and can't thank you enough for YOUR donation of endless hours of time for this special family. Thank you from the bottom of many of our hearts!
LYG, N

SloneFamily said...

Oh Wow... that's a tear jerker. What a beautiful Woman, you would never know anything was wrong with her. She looks so happy. And Tami what a sweet thing for you to give yourself to this family, I'm sure they'll be forever thankful!

Carol Dunton said...

Tami, you don't know me, but I teach at this school. I've followed your blog for several months now and I am a bit familiar with this story. What you have done for this mother, her children and the family is beyond any price, beyond any measurement...and almost beyond words. Bless you for what you have done. These pictures are treasures forever. Beautiful.
Carol Dunton

Cheela said...

Tami,

I can't even begin to tell you how beautiful this post and these pictures are. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for the family. Your wonderful mother-in-law is always there to help in any way that she can. I am proud to be a part of this school. And of course, TW would only marry some one as caring as you!!

If it is okay with you, I would like to put a link to your blog on mine.

Thank you, Tami!!

Sheila

barb said...

Tami,
Thank you so much for donating your time. I always enjoy your blog and keeping track of Grammie's babies. This was a truly wonderful thing for you to do. I am so proud of our campus and ALL of the people associated with it, including you.
love,
Barb

Maria Hays said...

These are gorgeous! What a beautiful family! There love shines through in your pictures!

Unknown said...

Tami,
Sheila emailed me and asked me to look at your photos of this beautiful family. You truly have left a piece of yourself with this family. It shows in the quality of your photos.

What a beautiful mother and legacy that you have given her children. I am not surprised by anything the staff at Gilbert Elementary accomplishes. With their incredible staff, gift of my sister, and love of community, they give more than any school, I have ever known. I know that they would say that they get it all back from the incredible children and families that they serve. True, but they give so much that is never spoken of or known about in the public. I admire their integrity.

I also admire you for taking the step to take these photos and sharing them with whomever has the blessing to see them. Finally, I admire my sister, Sheila, who has been named administrator of the year for a reason. Yes, she is a great principal, but a better person. God Bless to you, your wonderful family, and the staff at Gilbert El.

Finally, God Bless to this young mother and her children. A child who was terminally-ill, once told a doctor that sometimes the best stories are in "skinny" books rather than "fat" books. How wise is that!

Julie said...

Tami,

I found your blog the other day and I am so thrilled that I did. You take amazing pictures.....I am blown away. You are so talented...not only in your photography but also in your writing. You have a really special way of sharing your thoughts. I have been wanting to dabble in photography and would someday love to pick your brain. For now I will read your blog and admire from a distance.

Thanks for being so open and sharing your talents with all of us.

Julie George

KS71 said...

Tami, your post and the gorgeous pictures really struck a nerve with me. Thank you for sharing them with us. I hope the family has peace, they obviously have so much love. I will be thinking of them.
Kim

Susie of Arabia said...

Hi Tami - I'm friends of Cheela's and Velvet Brick's, so I know how amazing this school is. The photos of this mom and her children are lovely and something they will cherish forever. I hate the way I look in photos anymore - the older and heavier I get - but you've encouraged me to take more photos of myself with my son who is 16. Thanks, I needed that!

Alissa said...

Truly beautiful! You take gorgeous photographs, and I'm sure this family will be forever grateful to you for preserving such a time with their mother. You did an incredible job!!

Anonymous said...

Tami,
Thank you for your precious photography and sentiments that touch our hearts. Your talents teach us to treasure those values that seem hiding but should be opened up every day. Paula's family has those moments to last a lifetime.
Love,
Ann